Do you owe past due taxes?
Is the IRS garnishing your wages?
Is the IRS levying your assets?
Are their Federal Tax Liens filed against you?
There are many legal options to pursue when faced with Federal and State tax liens, levies and garnishments, but some have important deadlines. If you need legal advice on how to proceed, I would like to offer my help.
Wouldn’t you prefer to have a licensed tax attorney give you legal advice rather than a non-attorney sales agent with an out-of-state national tax resolution firm, especially if it did not cost you more? Non-attorneys cannot give you legal advice.
Call Darby Smith at 502-649-4788 or fill out the TAX CLIENT INTAKE FORM BELOW to see which of these SOLUTIONS BELOW is best for you:
Call Darby Smith at 502-649-4788 or fill out the TAX CLIENT INTAKE FORM ABOVE to see which of these is best for you:
- Challenge the underlying tax liability in United States Tax Court
- Pay and sue for a refund in Federal District Court or the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Discharge eligible taxes in Bankruptcy
- Submit an Offer in Compromise under 26 USC § 7122 and Treas. Reg §301.7122-1
- Enter into an Installment Agreement
- Assert the Statute of Limitations as a defense
- Seek “Currently Not Collectible” status if collection activity will result in actual hardship
- Seek Innocent Spouse Relief
- Request a Collection Due Process hearing
- Appeal under the Collection Appeals Program
- Seek Penalty Abatement under the “Good Faith” exception
- Payoff the liability in a lump sum
Darby obtained a Masters of Law (LL.M). in Taxation from New York University School of Law in May 2012 and his general law degree (J.D.) from the University of Kentucky College of Law in 1996. He was an Accounting Major at the University of South Carolina. This experience holds significant relevance when serving as a tax attorney for his Louisville, KY clients.
Darby is authorized to practice before the United States Tax Court and before the IRS. Darby has a general tax practice and regulary provides tax advice to clients and other professionals in the following areas:
- Corporate Taxation
- Partnership Taxation
- International Taxation
- Income Taxation of Trusts & Estates
- Estate and Gift Tax
- Delinquent Taxes and Levies
Among the courses Louisville, KY tax attorney Darby took in NYU’s Tax LL.M program are:
Corporate Tax I & II
International Tax I & II
Advanced Partnership Tax
Tax Aspects of Charitable Giving
Multi-state Taxation in the New Millennium
Accounting for Tax Consequences
Income Taxation of Trusts & Estate I (Audit)
Income Taxation of Trusts & Estate II (Audit)
Estate & Gift Tax (Audit)
For experienced representation from a Louisville tax attorney with a relevant background in the field, please contact Derby Smith today.